The New Azerbaijan Party was established at the initiative and with active participation of Azerbaijani intellectuals during the period of hardship of the Azerbaijan history, when the country was undergoing serious ordeal. Creation of the New Azerbaijan Party was the result of events that had taken place in Azerbaijan since 1988 and logical conclusion of the existing social-political conditions. The collapse of the Soviet regime and the Communist Party was followed by formation of various political parties and other institutions in Azerbaijan, as one of the Republics that regained their independence. Political institutions in Azerbaijan were brought into existence during the national movement, which started since 1988 and a number of organizations were established in the beginning of 1990s. However, the newly established parties could not get the country out of the hard economic, political and the spiritual crisis and on the contrary, the ruling political forces replacing one another even worsened the existing situation in the country, bringing it to the dangerous crisis. The deep political, economic and social crisis in the country aroused the concerns of the intellectuals and renown persons - the leading groups of the nation. At that moment, the persons thinking of the country's destiny came forward with an initiative to set up a new party able to get the country out of the crisis and united around the nation's wise son Heydar Aliyev to the effect. At that time, an appeal signed by 91 Azerbaijani intellectuals was sent to Nakhchivan, to Heydar Aliyev. The document get into the modern history of Azerbaijan as the "appeal of 91 intellectuals", and in reality, it was the expression of people's wishes and will. This appeal signed by the well-known intellectuals and famous figures and personalities of Azerbaijan urged Heydar Aliyev to be the head of the new political party.
Heydar Aliyev, genius son of our people, well-known political figure, experienced politician, national leader was a chairman of the Supreme Majlis of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic then.
Although Heydar Aliyev agreed to accept the appeal of the people and because he was not allowed to arrive in Baku by those who were in power then, a 550-member initiative group went to Nakhchivan and managed to hold the constituent assembly of the party.
The conference, which gathered the representatives of all the regions of Azerbaijan, was held November 21, 1992 with Heydar Aliyev presiding at the event. The Constituent Assembly approved the decision on the establishment of the Party, the Party's Program and its Statute. Heydar Aliyev was unanimously elected as a chairman of the party. There was elected the Political Council, the Board and deputies chairman were also elected at the conference. So, there was founded the New Azerbaijan Party, which assumed a great historic mission in the history of independent Azerbaijan and became a remarkable event in the life of our people.
The New Azerbaijan Party (NAP) is a center-right political party, which functions within the Constitution and legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic, on the basis of its Statute and Program and affiliates the citizens who share the ideas of the legal state and stable, social-oriented economy and want to build a civil society.
The New Azerbaijan Party's program highlighted the main tasks aimed at strengthening the state independency, building the democratic, legal and secular state and ensuring the peaceful and prosperous life of the citizens.
The principles of independent state, lawfulness, creative progress, azerbaijanism, civil solidarity and social justice as the basis of the Party's ideology stipulate the ideological base of the political future of Azerbaijan.
The New Azerbaijan Party was registered by the Ministry of Justice of Azerbaijan Republic on December 18, 1992 and opened its regional branches and cells in all the regions of Azerbaijan within a short period of time. The program and statute adopted by the Constituent Assembly of the New Azerbaijan Party were discussed at the First Congress held on 20-21 December 1999 and adopted after being amended. According to the NAP's Statute and Program, the strategic course was set and the major aims and goals to strengthen and protect the state independency of Azerbaijan, ensure its worthy place in the modern international system and build a legal state were determined.
With the election of NAP chairman Heydar Aliyev as the President, the Party entered a new era of development. The status of the party was changed in accordance with the new situation, its position in the political life of the country was strengthened with the party stepping up its activity to become a mass political force and achieve the progress in all fields of the social life. The NAP became the ruling party as the majority of deputies elected to the National Assembly during 12 November 1995 parliamentary elections were New Azerbaijan Party members.
Heydar Aliyev was reelected as a NAP chairman at the NAP first congress. The congress also elected the new composition of the Political Council and, as advised by NAP chairman, NAP deputy chairpersons, Board members, the executive secretary and his deputies. Having YAP scored a victory at the 1999 municipality elections, thus, enjoying the great prestige locally.
Having won again at the 21 November 2000 parliamentary elections gaining 74 out of 124 seats in the parliament the Party strengthened even more its influence in the society.
An important decision was made at the 2nd congress of the New Azerbaijan Party held on November 21, 2001.
The statute was amended with Ilham Aliyev elected to the newly established post of the first deputy chairman. The congress elected the members of the Political Board comprising 108 persons and the 26-member Board.
As a result of the October 15, 2003 presidential elections, Ilham Aliyev, the NAP first deputy chairman, Prime Minister of Azerbaijan was elected the President of the Azerbaijan Republic.
At the December 17, 2004 municipality elections, the NAP achieved another success.
At the third Congress of the New Azerbaijan Party held on March 26, 2005, Ilham Aliyev, the President of Azerbaijan Republic, the first deputy of the NAP chairman was unanimously elected as the chairman of the New Azerbaijan Party. The congress elected 102-member Political Board and 25-members Board as well. 17 members were elected to the Control-auditing commission.
The New Azerbaijan Party sealed an emphatic victory at November 06, 2005 parliamentary elections securing 62 seats.
The fourth congress of the YAP was held on August 2, 2008. The congress adopted a historical decision by nominating party Chairman, Mr. Ilham Aliyev for the next presidential term. YAP`s candidate, Mr. Ilham Aliyev was elected the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan by winning a landslide victory (88.7%) in the presidential election held on October 15, 2008.
On December 16, the New Azerbaijan Party proposed to make amendments and additions to the Constitution of Azerbaijan Republic (to 29 articles). After supporting YAP`s proposal, the Milli Majlis of Azerbaijan adopted a referendum act on "making amendments and supplements to the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan" on December 26 and made a decision to schedule a referendum for March 18, 2008. The New Azerbaijan Party set up a "New Azerbaijan" initiative group and conducted an active campaign for adoption of the referendum act. The overwhelming majority of voters supported the New Azerbaijan Party`s initiative on 18 March referendum.
Important and remarkable events in the history of the New Azerbaijan Party
- October 16, 1992 - Appeal of the Azerbaijani intellectuals with the initiative of establishing the New Azerbaijan Party
- October 24, 1992 - Reply of Heydar Aliyev, the chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan to the appeal of the intellectuals
- November 21, 1992 - Constituent Assembly of the New Azerbaijan Party, election of Heydar Aliyev as the chairman of the party
- December 18, 1992 - Registration of the New Azerbaijan Party by the Ministry of Justice of Azerbaijan Republic
- 1992-1993 - Establishment of the regional branches of the New Azerbaijan Party
- February 1993 - Meeting of Heydar Aliyev, the chairman of the NAP with the party activists in Baku
- April 1993 - publishing of the first issue of the newspaper "Yeni Azerbaijan"
- May-June 1993- the active ideological period of the party in preventing the danger of civil war in the country in 1993
- June 09, 1993 - Heydar Aliyev, the chairman of the New Azerbaijan Party left Nakhchivan for Baku
- June 15, 1993 - Election of Heydar Aliyev to the post of the chairman of the Supreme Council of Azerbaijan Republic
- October 03 1993 - Election of Heydar Aliyev, the chairman of the New Azerbaijan Party to the post of the President of Azerbaijan Republic
- November 19, 1994 - the nationwide meeting devoted to the 2nd anniversary of the New Azerbaijan Party and the speech of Heydar Aliyev, the President of the country at this conference
- November 12, 1995 - Victory of the New Azerbaijan Party in the first parliament elections based on the multi-party system
- June 1995 - Establishment of the NAP's Women's Council and the Youth Union
- November 1997 - conducting of the wide-republic forum devoted to the 5th anniversary of the New Azerbaijan Party
- February 02, 1998 - The national forum of the NAP Youth Union. The issues resulting from the speech by the NAP chairman constituted the basis of the Youth Union's action plan.
- October 11, 1998 - reelection of Heydar Aliyev, the chairman of the New Azerbaijan Party as the President of Azerbaijan.
- November 21, 1998 - helding of the solemn meeting devoted to the 6th anniversary of the New Azerbaijan Party
- December 21-22, 1999 - the First Congress of the New Azerbaijan Party
- November 12, 2000 - victory of the New Azerbaijan Party in the parliamentary elections
- November 21, 2001 - the second congress of the New Azerbaijan Party
- November 26, 2001 - holding of the solemn meeting devoted to the 10th anniversary of the New Azerbaijan Party
- May 10, 2003 - 80th birthday of Heydar Aliyev
- June 15, 2003 - 10th anniversary of Salvation Holiday, "10th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev's returning to power"
- August 02, 2003 - election of Ilham Aliyev as the Prime Minister of Azerbajan
- October 15, 2003 - election of Ilham Aliyev as the President of Azerbaijan Republic
- December 12, 2003 - passing away of Heydar Aliyev
- December 17, 2004 - victory of the New Azerbaijan Party in the municipality elections
- March 26, 2005 - the third Congress of the New Azerbaijan Party
- June 02, 2005 - II conference of the NAP's Youth Union
- June 15, 2005 - the mass meeting of the New Azerbaijan Party to mark the Salvation Day in front of the Cinema "Galaba"
- October 14, 2005 - Meeting and march of the NAP's Youth Union from "20 January" metro station to the Cinema Galaba in connection with the IV forum of the Azerbaijani Youth
- November 06, 2005 - victory of the NAP in the parliamentary elections
- September 27, 2007 - international conference entitled "Dialogue of civilizations: role of political parties"
- November 21, 2007 - event dealing with the 15th anniversary of YAP
- On May 7, 2008 - international conference "For democracy and stability: new opportunities for cooperation" as part of a series of events dedicated to 85th birthday anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- August 2, 2008 - fourth congress of YAP
- October 15, 2008 - election of Ilham Aliyev for next term as President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- March 18, 2009 - The New Azerbaijan Party`s proposal concerning amendments and additions to the Constitution was adopted and supported by the overwhelming majority of voters
- 23 December 2009 – the New Azerbaijan Party wins municipality elections
- 7 November 2010 – victory of YAP at the parliamentary elections
- 29 January 2011 – the 3rd conference of the Youth Wing of the New Azerbaijan Party
- 21 December 2011 – international conference entitled “Modernization strategy: new economic and social challenges”
- 22-23 June 2012 – The 17th meeting of the Standing Committee of the International Conference of Asian Political Parties
- 22-23 November 2012 – the 7th General Assembly of the International Conference of Asian Political Parties on “Security, peace and cooperation in Asia”
- 4-6 April 2013 – The 1st meeting of the Women`s Wing of the International Conference of Asian Political Parties held in Azerbaijan
- 7 June 2013 – The 5th congress of the New Azerbaijan Party
- 9 October 2013 – Ilham Aliyev`s re-election as a President of the Republic of Azerbaijan